Draíocht in collaboration with the Shell/Ter Artist Collective (S/TAC) is delighted to announce an Open Call for Graduate Artists (2021, 2022, 2023) based in or originally from Fingal, for an exhibition at Draíocht featuring works by S/TAC (Diana Copperwhite, Allyson Keehan, Niamh McGuinne, Sharon Murphy, Geraldine O Neill) alongside works from 10 invited and selected emerging artists. Five artists will be selected via this Open Call.
Deadline for Open Call: 5pm Sunday 22 October 2023
The ladder is always there is an exhibition of new work by the Shell/Ter Artist Collective + recent visual art graduates (2021, 2022, 2023) whose practice is rooted in or takes inspiration from painting. It will take place in Draíocht Galleries from Friday 08 December 2023 – Saturday 03 February 2024.
This exhibition will showcase circa 35 new works in drawing, painting and expanded forms across a range of media, which take inspiration from, or, are embedded in, painting. The main focus of the exhibition is to highlight the role of the Collective as a shelter for emerging artists, aligning with Draíocht's strategic commitment to support young, early career artists. The Shell/Ter Artist Collective explores the concept of shelter from emotional, psychological and philosophical perspectives and seeks to provide a diverse space for artists whose work resonates with or delves into the theme of shelter.
How to Apply
Criteria for selection
Quality of work
- The work demonstrates an understanding of current contemporary art practices
- The work demonstrates original use of materials and/or ambition in presentation and contextualising the work within broader practice.
Eligibility and entry requirements
1. Submissions are invited from eligible visual artists who have recently (2021, 2022, 2023 only) graduated with a BA or MA from recognised third level art colleges who are originally from or currently based in Fingal.
2. Submissions of work are invited from eligible artists working in drawing, painting and/or expanded forms across a range of media, which take inspiration from, or, are embedded in, painting. Works must be recent reflecting the artists current work.
3. Artists must demonstrate commitment to a full-time practice as an artist.
4. Artists must fill out the ENTRY FORM (download below) in full. Incomplete or inaccurate applications will not be processed. The entry form must be attached as a PDF and must not exceed 3MB.
5. Up to five works with specific dimensions in cms, framing and methods of display instructions must be included in the PDF.
6. Eligible artists can submit up to five works only.
7. The submitted artworks must be the artist’s original work and have been completed recently reflecting current practice.
8. All artworks shortlisted must be display ready. Any equipment that is specific and/or integral to the display of the artwork will need to be provided by the artist.
9. The submitted artwork must be of a size and medium that does not inhibit its display in Draíocht’s galleries. Draíocht has the right to exclude artworks that cannot be reasonably displayed due to their medium or size. Work over 150cm x 150cm is only considered in exceptional circumstances.
10. The image that the applicant submits of their artwork must show the artwork in its completed state. If an applicant changes the image of their artwork so as to alter the artwork itself after a submission has been made, it may no longer be admissible.
Submitting your Entry
11. Only entries submitted via email with digital images/files of the artworks attached in the format outlined below will be accepted. Download the entry form below. Please add the image as an attachment – do not embed the image of the work in your email. The image must comply with the specifications below.
12. Image format: JPG Image quality: best quality / least compression, 300DPI Maximum file size: 3MB. Any applications with image files larger than 3MB will not be accepted.
Only entries received via email in PDF format to email@example.com by 5pm on Sunday 22 October 2023 will be accepted
13. Selected artists will be informed by email on Wed 8 November 2023 and will be required to deliver their works to Draíocht at an agreed time.
14. The selectors include artists from the Shell/Ter Artist Collective, the Director of Draíocht and an independent nominated by Draíocht. The decision of the selectors is final and binding and no correspondence will be entered into in relation to such decisions. Feedback will not be available.
15. Draíocht reserves the right to disqualify any artwork at any time if the artist has not adhered to these Rules.
16. All artists selected for exhibition agree to participate in such promotional activity as is reasonably requested by Draíocht. This includes, but is not limited to, Draíocht’s Children and Youth Arts Programme.
Further terms and conditions
1. Insurance: Draíocht will insure the work selected for the exhibition displayed in the galleries. However, all works submitted and/or accepted for exhibition will be transported entirely at the artists' risk. Draíocht will not accept liability for loss or damage occurring in the transport to the exhibition or during the selection process.
2. Works for sale will be subject to a 30% commission by Draíocht
Keys dates in summary
Sun 22 Oct 2023, 5pm: Deadline for submissions
Wed 08 Nov 2023: Selected works announced
Fri 08 Dec: Exhibition opening
Sat 03 Feb 2024: Exhibition closing
The Open Call is managed by Sharon Murphy on behalf of Draíocht at firstname.lastname@example.org